Tuesday, August 11, 2020

summer update

 well it has been awhile since I have written a blog post, I have been busy with many things. We have finished cleaning out my MIL's house and sold it that took some time and work. Grand kids have been in and out this summer and we have been boating and fishing this is the safest thing to do this summer with the Covid-19 sticking around.   Celebrated several family birthdays this summer.

I also have been doing some sewing and quilting.  Trying to finish some UFO's and did 3 stay at home quilts from 3 teachers they were fun   2 ready to quilt and one not quite done yet.

This one is Bonnie Hunter's Unity quilt, had fun picking the fabric all from stash. I changed her aqua to gold  and made it a patriotic quilt. I added small stars on top and bottom to make it longer but did not make it as big as hers since I wanted a lap quilt.  this will be given to a cousin this fall for a quilt of valor type quilt. He is a Vietnam vet and deserves it. This is a surprise and he will not be expecting it.

This is Kaye England's  Civil War Legacy quilt that she offered as a class during our stay at home time. I had the book and the fabric so decided good time to do it. It was presented as a block at a time with some history and puzzles. I changed the basket block and changed out for the flag block and the T block instead of an applique block . Not into applique right now.  all fabric from my stash feel so good to use what I have  It is ready for the quilting pile, this one I am keeping. 



This one is from Pat Sloan called her stay at home quilt.  It is a modified snowball blocks. I started one with kids prints in the center then switched to these prints. This will go to a brother all of the centers are things that remind me of him or he likes.  adding  a surprise in the middle that is why it is not sewn together yet.  Plan on having this done at the latest for his birthday A lot of the fabric is from my stash and from friends. I reached out to quilt group for 7 inch squares of certain things I did not have and then I ordered some special fabrics like the white sox, sturgess, covid, fabrics.  This has been fun.


worked on my cupcake mix blocks  they are tiny but easy to make I sew them when just want to sew in the evening. Each cupcake paper makes 2 blocks from a charm pack.. 


While staying at home I decided to participate in Fat quarter shop stitch along. I have not cross stitched for many years. This is called Feels like home.  I have the bird and leaves done working on the house. I am way behind because they have finished giving all the steps out, but that is ok I am enjoying stitching this in the evening while watching TV with hubby. I am stitching it on 10 count so nice big holes and DMC floss.


This is my Bonnie Hunter garlic knot blocks  I have 126 done so I am putting it together I have about half of them sewn together not sure how big this will be yet. I might make more since these are so fun and addictive to make and great use of scraps and make big enough for our bed. 


Grand daughter's friend had a baby girl about a month ago so this is Norah's quilt I need to make the label then take it to her.  From a layer cake  called good morning. I picked all the pinks out and cut them into 5 inch squares and made pinwheels.   Going to use the blue and green squares to make a boy quilt for another one of her friends that is having a boy in next few months.



This quilt is called Buzz Saw. I made this one for my Hubby for his birthday he got it this weekend. He was very surprised did not know I was making it.  It has taken awhile to make just because I worked on it in stages. All the fabrics are of tool prints. 

This is the back of the quilt.

this is Traffic Jam quilt from Pat Sloan.  It is a fun and easy quilt. I made it for a quilt guild challenge for our quilt show that was canceled. Challenge was to make a baby quilt with all one color fabrics. All from my stash I choose blue since I had many squares to use up.  It is ready for a baby boy when I need it.


 Well I think that is most of what I have been getting done.  On to more UFO finishes.  

Happy stitching 

Sharon J

1 comment: