Monday, May 11, 2020

April-May stay at home progress

well I have been very busy in April and beginning of May being teacher to my 2 grandsons.  They stayed with us for all of April except 1 week that they went home. Mom is working and Dad was recovering from serious surgery so we kept them and I was their teacher.  Forgot how tiring it is to be a teacher. I had to learn some of the lessons so I could help them do them.  Thanks goodness I know how to use the computer to get their lessons and turn them in.
They have gone home now they only have couple weeks of school work left and Dad is recovered and going back to work this week.

I did some sewing during this time  and some yard work on nice days. It was great to have their help.

I quilted a couple of customer quilts and got them delivered with minimum contact.

I have been following a few sew a longs during this stay at home time and started 3 of them.
I started Bonnie Hunter's unity quilt and have 5 clues done I am waiting to see what the rest of the clues are since I do not want the quilt as big as she is making it.  I want it to be a lap quilt for a cousin as a quilt of valor quilt.  I am using red, cream, blue, and gold.

  Then I am doing Pat Sloan's April quilt along which is like a snowball block  I am using all novelty prints that remind me of my youngest brother. Hope to go visit him when this stay at home is over and take him the quilt.

  Also doing one from Kaye England called Civil War Legacy. I had the book so dug out some civil war fabric and am watching her video lesson each week.  Here are some of my blocks.



 I am also cleaning out my sewing room and organizing thing and getting rid of things I no longer want or need.  I have been sorting scraps for weeks a bag or box at a time.  I have even thrown small pieces away.  sorting them into strings, small pieces for my pineapple blocks, and a box to cut into strips and squares with my go cutter.  I am sorting strips into sizes and colors.  I have 1 tote left to sort thru.  I also sorted thru magazines and got rid of a paper sack full.
Here is a sack of strings and chunks to make string blocks with.  I am using a neutral center strip form my stash.  I made 20  8 1/2" blocks tonight while watching TV.



I also have been cleaning drawers in the kitchen one at a time.   I would clean out more places but there is nowhere to take the items to donate since they are all closed.

I decided to stitch along with the fat quarter shop on a cross stitch project. I have not done any for several years.  Doing it on 10 count so I can see the weave and hole.  My fabric came today. My daughter that cross stitches all the time help me get the colors ready this last weekend.  So now I need to start. Here is my fabric and a needle minder to keep track of my needle while working on the project.

Hope everyone is staying safe and getting a lot of sewing done.

take care and happy sewing
Sharon J

1 comment:

  1. The snowball quilt looks like a great I Spy quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing your Unity/QoV quilt. Glad you've been stitching, despite teaching. Hey, how much do you charge for long arm quilting? I'll have some quilts ready in a couple of months. Great excuse to drive down and see everyone, when things settle down.

    ReplyDelete